At MetroMD, we pride ourselves in being able to offer you the finest care and safe, innovative medical treatments. We’ll help you look better, perform better, recover from injuries faster and live healthier.
Stem Cell Treatments are available to qualified patients at our Hollywood office.
Frequently Asked Questions
“What Stem Cell Therapies are available?”
Local Stem Cell Injections are used in orthopedics to target specific sites that are inflamed (i.e. arthritic joints or damaged ligaments). Applications currently include:
Knee Stem Cell Injection- Alternative treatment for ACL, MCL, Meniscus, and Cartilage Damage. The MetroMD approach to degenerative joint disease may help knee injuries without the use of traditional surgery.
Hip Stem Cell Injection- Alternative treatment for hip injury. Common injuries are to the femoral head and narrowing of joint space. The MetroMD approach to degenerative joint disease may help hip injuries without the use of traditional surgery.
Ankle Stem Cell Injection- Alternative treatment for ankle injury. The MetroMD approach to degenerative joint disease may help the ankle injury without the use of traditional surgery.
Shoulder Stem Cell Injection- Alternative treatment for rotator cuff and shoulder injury. The MetroMD approach to shoulder injury may help heal soft tissue damage and reverse signs of arthritis, damage, and pain.
Elbow Stem Cell Injection- Alternative therapy for Elbow Arthritis. Stem cell medicine has shown to be an alternative therapy that may correct symptoms of tennis elbow.
Vertebral Disc Stem Cell Injection- Alternative therapy for degenerating vertebral discs. Traditionally there have been few treatments for Degenerative Disc Disease. Our approach may help regeneration of disc degeneration.
To find out if you are a candidate for Stem Cell Therapy, contact MetroMD. In order to properly access a patient, imaging of the joint is necessary before consultation.
“Why are your treatments better?”
Great question, and two big reasons stand out:
1. We perform autologous stem cell treatments, meaning that the donor and recipient are the same. In other words, we extract stem cells from your body and inject or infuse them back to you directly on the same day. We don’t give you stem cells from other people so we eliminate the risk of rejection and other complications.
2. Some providers try to extract stem cells from adipose (fatty) tissue via liposuction. We extract stem cells from the bone marrow located inside your hip’s iliac crest. Bone marrow aspirate contains a richer source of bioactive stem cells and essential growth factors. We then concentrate the regenerative cells and supporting factors in their natural plasma to retail cellular viability and proliferative potential. Optimal healing and patient outcomes are achieved when concentrated stem cells are extracted and administered in this manner.
“Is stem cell therapy safe?”
Stem cell treatments have been tested and used extensively outside the US for several years already with extraordinary results. We only use proven medical procedures that give you the most benefit and safety. Of course, there are risks with any medical procedure and you should consult with your doctor to understand those risks before proceeding.
“How much do treatments cost?”
Autologous Stem Cell Treatments vary in price between $5,000 and $17,000 USD depending on the specific application. Insurance typically does not cover these treatments.
If you’re considering treatment, please contact us for a detailed consultation and pricing.
“What if I’m coming in from out of town?”
Accommodations and local transportation for out-of-town guests are available at our partner hotel, The W Hollywood, just a short walk away along Hollywood Boulevard’s Walk of Fame. We have custom packages that combine your treatment and luxury accommodations during your visit.
“What exactly is involved in Stem Cell Therapy?”
Most therapies are accomplished in one day. Patient preparation, bone marrow aspiration and concentration of the product to obtain pure stem cells and growth factors takes about one hour. Once the concentrate of stem cells is ready, we proceed with one of three pre-determined options:
- A single injection is applied to the problematic area. The stem cell concentrate is combined with thrombin calcium chloride to stabilize the cells at the site and achieve optimal therapeutic effects.
- Facial or skin application follows a DOT CO2 laser treatment in order to create microscopic tunnels into the dermis. This allows access points for the stem cells to penetrate the skin surface, reproduce and create a new skin lineage. Immediately following the laser treatment, the stem cell concentrate is applied topically over the affected skin surface.
- Intravenous infusions occur over a three-day period, one hour per day. Your concentrated stem cells are added to an IV solution and infused directly into your bloodstream. This insures that stem cells will circulate and help fix problematic sites throughout the body.
“Will I be given any medications and can I drive afterwards?”
A one-time bone marrow aspiration is performed in order to collect plasma that consists of a high concentration of stem cells.
In order for the procedure to be done comfortably, you will receive an injection of Lidocaine, a local anesthetic, at the site of aspiration, on the hip’s iliac crest. You’ll also get Tramadol for pain and discomfort, prescription strength Ibuprofen for swelling and local edema, and Valium for anxiety.
With these medications, it’s necessary for you to have a ride home. If needed, we can arrange transportation to your home or local hotel.
“How will I feel after my treatment?”
The extraction process and treatment is fairly simple and does not require much downtime—maybe 1-3 days to rest. You may feel some dull pain at the extraction site for several days following the procedure. Ibuprofen may be taken in order to help recover from the slight discomfort and bruising that occurs at the extraction and injection sites.
HGH therapy, although not required, is a great way to protect your investment. HGH will help your body recover at a faster rate and slow down the aging process to protect your stem cells from degrading over time.
“How long will it take to feel beneficial results?”
Stem cells are living tissue that may take some time to differentiate and produce new cell lineages. Typically it can take a few weeks to start noticing marked results, and therapeutic effects will increase as time passes.
“Is Stem Cell Therapy Legal in the United States?”
Yes, stem cell therapies are legal under the supervision of a qualified Physician. The FDA is working to approve stem cells for newer applications. Our therapies are in compliance with CFR 21 part 1271 and fall under the same surgery exemption discussed in 1271.15 (b).